- 250g Strong Flour plus a bit more for dusting
- 165g Water (tepid)
- 50g Sourdough Starter Or 7g dried active yeast( double check on the packet)
- 5g Sea Salt
- In a bowl mix the flour and water ( check if you need to add the yeast there) until smooth, leave under a tea towel for 1 hour.
- Add the sourdough starter( or the dried active yeast make sure it doesn’t need water otherwise add it in step one) then the salt ( do not mix the two of them first).
- Knead for 3 to 5 minutes until you get a smooth dough. Make a ball and leave to rest for 1h30 underneath a tea towel.
- Roll the dough onto your floured worktop by allongeting it. Leave it to rest for 1 hour under a tea towel.
- Shape it by folding it lengthwise after flattening it. 1/3 of the top folded to be repeated 3 times. Blend the borders together then roll again to about 50cm length. Leave it to rest on a lined with baking paper or silicon mat flat tray for 2h30.
- Preheat the oven at 230C, have the kettle one.Once the temperature is reached score the bread 3 times, and put the bread. Add the boiling water in a ovenproof tray or mould on a tray beneath the bread around a good 5 cm, it will create some steam perfect for the crust.
- It will be ready in 35 minutes....Leave it on a rack to cool. Tap the bottom of the bread it should sound hollow when cooked.
Be careful and remember you have steam in the oven so when opening the door step back.